Saturday, July 31, 2004

In Japan!

In Yokohama, where because of the imminent typhoon, it is oddly cool. Went to the Chinatown that Yokohama is famous for and ate very well thanks to Maiko and her parents. It's always so interesting to see where your friends come from. Maiko has her mother's face but her father's nose. They're both very sweet people. (Which might sound condescending but isn't meant to be. I just liked them.)

It is a bit odd to see people who look so Korean but speak a totally different language. I should speak English here, as it's taught as a mandatory subject in school and is more widely understood than Korean, but Korean keeps coming out, because I keep thinking everyone should understand it. They all look Korean, dammit!

I delivered the suitcase of Maiko's stuff that she had entrusted to me back in April as sort of a guarantee that I would eventually visit Japan. I'm finally here, and in Maiko's tiny cubbyhole in the apartment she shares with Kaori, a friend. It's small, and every available space is in use, but so artfully decorated and organized that it doesn't seem cluttered at all. They have a balcony that looks out onto the high school next door, and I went out and had a smoke, enjoying the cool breeze and quiet suburban air. Maiko joined me a bit later and we both looked at the full moon. The thought struck me that all over the world, a full moon looks the same.