Friday, July 30, 2004

Strange goodbyes
 
My last few minutes in this office, in this building, in this job. I did a quick fly-by with the human resources assistant director and said goodbye to everyone in the company, which was awkward but mercifully quick. I've cleared out my drawers, my files, my emails; given away my bottle of moisturizer; collected the Korean Food Guide I helped edit. It's just a matter of walking out the door.

I felt a moment of sadness pulling the notes to myself off my little desk calendar, the one listing the Korean words for "revision" and "proofreading marks" and "manuscript" and the one with a few basic editing rule regarding the use of italics (first reference only, and not for proper nouns) and numbers. And I just felt a pang placing the last document I'll edit on my colleague's desk. He's a good guy. Most of them are.

They haven't found my replacement yet, though they're interviewing folks now. I wonder who will occupy this seat next. Will they be like me 22 months ago, clueless, anxious to make a good impression? Nothing, I'm sure, like the late-everyday, bored, confident quit-a-holic that sits here now, typing out the last blog from work. (Just a matter of time, though.)

Yes. Time to go.