Thursday, September 04, 2003

Jumpy entry

Did I mention that I went up two belts in taekwondo last week? This isn't as big an achievement as it sounds, because the director routinely lets people skip belts if they seem to be earnestly working at the art. There are nine belts, the last being black, and now I'm an orange belt, the third one up.

In order to rise to the next belt, you have to learn a series of movements, like a routine. By skipping the yellow belt, I have to learn routine 2 and 3 quickly, which I'm not sure is such a great idea, since, as the Ringleted One told me, it takes about 3,500 repetitions to commit something to muscle memory. I learned routine 2 on Tuesday and learned most of routine 3 tonight, and I'm already getting things confused.

It's still gratifying to tie on my orange belt, though.
------------------
People at work are sad to see me go. Or at least, that's what they say to my face. But I had to believe one woman who came to my desk to day with a woebegone expression on her face and asked me, seriously, if the work she had given me had made me want to leave.

"Of course not!" I reassured her. I told her that we should keep in touch, but in an oddly honest response, she said, "That's what people always say, but that's never the case. People just don't."

I told her that we shouldn't think that way, and that we should try, in any case. But you know, it is often true. It's a happy day when someone I like very much and want to keep in touch with also likes me and wants to keep in touch AND is a good and frequent emailer.
------------------
I picked up my bridesmaid outfit from Tex today, and it looks pretty good. The top is not quite as smooth as a professional might have made it, but overall, the effect is quite nice. Pretty in pink!
------------------
Thanks to BC, who wrote to tell me that "farrier" is the word I was looking for yesterday. She once again lives up to her immortal words: "I have more reference books than God."