Tuesday, April 15, 2003

Pictures of Jejudo at ofoto.com. Login: "hkim100@hotmail.com", password: "hkim100".
-----------------------
I just proofed a couple articles about the geopolitical situation over here, all of them focused on whether U.S. forces should stay in Korea.

One of the more interesting points I learned was that there are 26,000 American troops in Okinawa. That fact was lodged somewhere in my brain, but I looking up the actual number today, and was surprised that it was so high. While it's still 11,000 fewer than those stationed in Seoul (37,000), and while Seoul is admittedly the enormously overcrowded capital of Korea, you don't really hear much about Japan wanting to kick those troops out. (At least in American press. I need to learn more about it; I seem to recall that their presence in Japan has also been a source of controversy.)

What's fascinating is that the Japanese government spends quite a bit of money each year for the express purpose of smoothing relations between the Okinawans and the U.S. troops -- money to help alleviate discomforts and inconveniences of having foreign troops around, education programs, etc. One of the articles I read made the point that the Korean government might be well-advised to build a similar program. Eeeeentahresting, no?