Sunday, July 02, 2006

Feeling chipper at midnight

After countless hours en route, I'm here, in my serviced one-bedroom apartment on the 18th floor, in Hong Kong. It was easier than I thought it would be to get all my stuff onto the tram from the airport, and then into a cab (efficiency, thy name is Hong Kong! Well done, Hong Kong, well done). As the cab pulled out of the shuttle station, I looked out into the night, I couldn't help grinning like a fool. I love traveling. I love new places.

Of course, H.K. (not to be confused with "hk") is not entirely new. I was here once before, for a 24-hour layover with The Ringleted One, coming back from SE Asia. We were so excited about being able to use tap water to brush our teeth and having toilet paper, though, that I don't remember much else. And beyond that, there's a sameness to big, cosmopolitan cities. A certain code of conduct, a certain set of expectations. The differences will be pleasure to explore in the next four weeks.

Just now, Gary Sinese is getting a confession out of a murdering doorman on TV. (CSI: Miami. In English.)

The complimentary plate of fruit includes a mango and dragonfruit.

I'm not tired at all. I'm sure I will be, though, in 7 hours, when I go to work. Apparently, you can walk there from these residences. But as it is 86 degrees out there (at midnight), I'm not sure that'll be such a good idea.

Okay, I must go to sleep. I mean, unpack first, and then go to sleep. It's been far too many days since I got a decent night's rest. But all worth it.