Thursday, June 29, 2006

Riffs: Four Types of Goodbyes

I. Short Efficient Goodbyes

Went to lunch with a "counsel" (someone who, for whatever reason, stepped off the partner track but still works for the firm) who was very nice and very efficient, and I said to her, "I really enjoyed working with you," and she smiled and said nice things, and turned and briskly walked away.

II. Fun Flirty Goodbyes

When I told the cute associate from Oz yesterday that I was trying to avoid work because I was leaving on Friday, he said, "What?! You can't leave. What do you mean?"

"Ah, well, you knew it couldn't last forever," I said melodramatically before cracking up and explaining: "No, I'm splitting the summer, and Friday's my last day."

"Does Other Associate know about this?"

"Yeah, I think I might have told him a couple weeks ago."

"But you can't leave. You've been fantastic. We have to take you out."

"Well, I'm sort of running out of free time."

"Yeah, I bet... are you coming back to New York?"

"No, I'm going to London after Hong Kong, and then back to school." I paused, thinking. "Hey, you guys can always fly me down from law school to take me out! Or fly me back from Hong Kong!"

"Yeah... No, we really do have to take you out. I'll talk to Other Associate and we'll find a time. Now I have to go and pick myself off the floor."

And so we're going to have coffee tomorrow afternoon. Cuteness!

III. Lonely flute-like goodbyes, with the promise of a lilting movement to follow

G, an LLM from Uruguay I got to know this year, can't come to the farewell party I'm having with BC on Friday, and so promised to come to the cocktail party of the UK Magic Circle Firm I was going to tonight. But the minutes ticked by, and no G. Finally, he called and said he was held up at the office, and that he would be there in 25 minutes, and could he at least walk me to my next appointment?

At 8:35, I left, no longer able to wait for him, as Fearless T was waiting for me in turn. And then as I walked down 71st, I saw him coming.

Turns out he has a fantastic series of jobs in the next two years: summer in New York, London in October, back to Crimson for a visiting researcher position OR Madrid for six months, Sao Paolo, and a fourth city I can't even remember.

I, being a little drunk on a couple glasses of Veuve Cliquot (damn, those lawyers like the good stuff!), gushed, "Omigod, I am going to visit you in each of these places. Expect me there!"

"Of course!" said G. "I would be so happy if you visited!"

In a few minutes, we'd reached my meeting place with Fearless T, and G gave me a kiss on the cheek (love those Latin American greetings!), and I said sadly (and a little dramatically, "Ah, but when will I see you again?"

"We will meet again," he smiled. And because his cheerfulness is always infectious, as it was during the school year, I took his proffered hand and held it tightly, and said, "Yes, you're right. We will meet again. Goodbye, G!"

IV. Rich, Melancholy, Haunting Cello-like Goodbyes

Fearless T. Was there ever a woman so open and so down-to-earth and so good-natured and so kind? Yes, and I've been lucky to know her since the D.C. days.

We've gone through periods where we haven't been in touch much, but when we do reconnect, there's endless affection and interest on her part. It's always satisfying to talk about people and their motivations with her, and hear her insightful comments and ponder her intelligent questions. Now she's married, and a psychologist, and delightfully content, and it was hard indeed to hear her say, "DC were my halcyon days, because we had a group, and we saw each other every week, and my apartment was this meeting ground."

I know that this time is the time of establishing ourselves career-wise, but then it will be babies and families, and then what? I mourn the loss of contact with friends who will be successful in work and love, because they are my family. I want to say, don't change! Let's stay where we are, so I can be full of love without fear of losing you.

Sigh. There's no sweetness to this parting's sorrow.