Thursday, July 27, 2006

Early night

I got out at 7:30 tonight, because even though senior associate wanted to talk about some assignments for tomorrow, he said, "Ah, go and enjoy your next to last night in HK." This is the least he could do, since earlier in the day, he and Sunshine asked me my assignment load for tomorrow, because Sunshine is leaving at 2 pm to go to Korea -- for a concert of all things -- and he's leaving at midnight to do the same. Thus, if anything comes up on the deal they're working on, I'm to "cover" for Sunshine. I've been promised that I won't be there past 10 pm, though, because he has to catch his flight. So, lots to look forward to on my last day in HK!

I actually don't care very much, because I wasn't planning on doing much. If I get out early, I'll probably head over to Kowloon and do a little more shopping, because having gotten out early today, I actually went home, changed clothes, and - ta da! - headed out to see some sights. I went to see the Temple Street night market, where I bought marvelously cheap trinkets with delirious abandon. Of course, they were probably crafted by 5-year-olds on the mainland, working by candlelight through the night, but -- oooh, are those Paul Frank knockoff wallets for $2?

I had some pigeon today at a tres tres fancy restaurant that serves South American/Chinese cuisine. (The summer of exotic meats continues -- venison, bison, pigeon, pickled herring...) Not bad, but the chili garlic prawns I got for an entree were better. It was with one of the 2 US law partners, and he was all right. I couldn't quite get into the conversation, for some reason, although he seemed pleasant enough. Everyone in the office has a deadpan, sardonic sense of humor, and a playful relationship with each other, even between junior associates and partners. I like it, but sometimes I feel slow. And not having a hierarchy adhered to on a social level can make things confusing.

It's funny that my last week here is when I get slammed with work, when last week I was twiddling my thumbs. But I like work. I don't like the thumb-twiddling. And it's really in this last week that I've come to feel more at ease with everyone and enjoy being at the office. I'm reminded of visiting my undergrad college back when I was a senior in high school -- it was the last of a three-college visit, and I was so relieved to see people studying, not drinking or partying. I guess I'm just a big ole nerd at heart.

I haven't updated about my weekend yet, and I have to go sleep now, but in lieu of a real weekend update, here are some pics of Macau: