Saturday, May 27, 2006

Luxuriating...

... in my humble grad student sublet, which:

- smells a little bit like Tide, because I did laundry (YAY!) for the first time in, oh, 6 weeks
- smells a lot like garlic, because I cooked (I know, I'm stunned too!) a nice meal of couscous and eggplant and canned tomatoes
- is warm, because the humidity has arrived (it's 77 degrees out there, but I went for a run -- a run! -- at 10 and it felt like 85)
- is unfortunately still devoid of food (the food I cooked was left by my subletor) because rather than buying and cooking food, I've eaten at the office or out
- is unfortunately still occupied by a certain $185 white button down shirt, which will depart tomorrow, when I return it to Bloomingdales and do some more office wear shopping
- is a very nice place to loiter aimlessly

I got an assignment at noon yesterday from the employee benefits and executive compensation department, which required an hour-long explanation, after which I returned to my office and sat, stunned. I had only the most superficial understanding of the issue and what I was supposed to do. I haven't taken securities regulation, okay? Or corporations! I took econ pass/fail in college! And I dropped accounting in the fall because I was scared of numbers! ARgh.

I finally did figure out the issue and emailed the partner to make sure I was on the right track, and then finally found something that I think is relevant, and finally wrote up an email with my findings.

You can get a car home from the office after a certain time, and I tripped out of the building at 10, knowing that I'd be driven home rather than having to take the subway. Funny - when I stepped out of the building, it was as dry as a bone, but driving up Manhattan, I noticed the streets were wet in the 60s. While we drove through the 70s and 80s, lightning lit the sky repeatedly. And at 96th St., driving through the park to cross town, the heavens opened up and it poured.

I thought about going out of town for the long weekend (which I kept forgetting about -- holidays don't mean as much in school), but decided to stick around town and loll about. So far, so good.