Monday, June 28, 2004

UNBLOCK the BLOG!

I mentioned yesterday that I haven't been able to access my own webpage for the past several days. So I emailed those nice people at Blogger and got a very prompt reply today that:

I'm afraid that the South Korean government has been blocking all BlogSpot pages from being shown within that country. I'm sorry about that, but I'm afraid there's not much we can do. If you have access to another server,or if you would like to purchase a hosting service from another company, you can still use Blogger to publish your blog there, and you will probably be able to view the results.

So it appears that I can write my posts, but I can't view them up. If there's anything funky about my page, you'll tell me, right? Thanks.

In the meanwhile: why the bloody sodding HELL has the South Korean government has chosen to block blogspot pages? I've been viewing my page without problem for the past 20 months. Why now?

Got another email of interest today, from the U.S. embassy, with which I registered last year:

In addition to the numerous anti-U.S., anti-troop dispatch demonstrations precipitated by the tragic death of a Korean citizen in Iraq and mentioned in our recent warden message of June 24, 2004, local authorities have informed the Embassy of new demonstrations scheduled for June 29 and June 30, including nationwide rallies by the Korean Federation of Trade Unions (KCTU) to protest the Republic of Korea government's plan to send more troops to Iraq.

Please note the dates/times for the following demonstrations that have been scheduled at the Kyobo or KT buildings in Seoul (one block south of the US Embassy):

6/29/2004, 1600 hours, 1,000 members of the Korean Confederation of Trade Unions - to protest troop dispatch to Iraq and later to join the candle vigil to protest hostage killing

6/29/2004, 1900 hours, 3,000 individuals, candlelight vigil to protest hostage killing

6/30/2004, 1800 hours, 10,000 individuals, candlelight vigil to protest hostage killing

The following demonstration is scheduled for Jongmyo Park in Seoul (3 blocks southeast of the Embassy):

6/29/2004, 1400 hours, 3,000 individuals protest troop dispatch to Iraq.

Demonstrations may also take place in other locales and at other dates in June and July, specifically in the vicinity of the U.S. Embassy, U.S. military (USFK) bases, and universities or downtown civic centers
throughout Republic of Korea. In consideration of U.S. July 4 Independence Day celebrations and the Iraqi governmental transition period, American citizens are reminded to maintain a high-level of personal security awareness, especially in areas where large numbers of American citizens congregate.

Political, labor, and student demonstrations and marches have on occasion become confrontational and/or violent. American citizens and their family members should exercise caution and avoid gatherings of large groups in order to minimize risk to their personal safety. Streets may also close without warning on orders of the local police.


Getting these alerts from the embassy here reminds me that I am a citizen of the world's most hated nation.