Wednesday, November 26, 2003

Moved, Speeched and Tired

I am obssessed with the photos from Dave/Steph's and Maggie/James' weddings.

My dad and grandmother oversaw the move on Monday, so I just left for school in the morning and, after work and some studying, came home to a new apartment. It's much larger than the old one, but the occupancy has also doubled, so we'll see how it all works out. Monday and Tuesday I came home after my grandmother and great aunt had gone to bed, so the apartment seemed very spacious.

I love setting up after a move. Yes, it can be tedious, but if you have, say, a speech to give in class on Wednesday, Tuesday night is a fantastic time to stay up until 1 am unloading and arranging your books artistically in the bookcase.

Sometimes I think that the most enjoyable moments in life are the ones that you steal between and before obligations and tasks.

The topic of my speech was divorce in Korea, which has skyrocketed up 250 percent in 10 years. Last year, for every 1,000 people in Korea, there were 3 divorces. In 1992, there were 1.2. Comparatively, last year, for every 1,000 people in the U.S., there were 4 divorces. But the last time that there were 1.2 divorces per 1,000 people in the United States was 60 years ago.

Lest you think that it took Korea 10 years to hit a divorce rate that the U.S. hit in six decades, I'll mention that the divorce rate in the U.S. actually hit the 4 in 1,000 mark in the 1980s (it then continued to go up throughout the eighties and subsequently decreased in the nineties). But even so -- still roughly four times as fast. As the sociologists are fond of pointing out, social changes that happened over decades in the west are taking place here in a matter of years.