Sunday, November 16, 2008

Social success

After having worked at the meet-and-greet thing for the past month, I got to the point this past week where I had plans for every night! Let's review:

Monday: impromptu dinner at Penny's
Tuesday: Democrats Abroad event, where Stegmaier and I re-met Political Dude
Wednesday: art show opening with Grace, a friend of Penny's
Thursday: drinks with a coworker and Dennis, another friend of Penny's
Friday: Indian food with coworkers, 2 people from the hiking club, and a friend of the aspiring filmmaker
Saturday: dinner and Sexy Daniel Craig: The Movie with Sun
Sunday: charity concert with Penny

Okay, so Wednesday and Thursday plans got canceled because I got sick, but the fact that I did have plans counts, right? I'm especially proud of the gathering on Friday, since I did the inviting and gathering and choosing of place (i.e., played hostess). Very gratifying.

Hey, it's the little things. Don't roll your eyes at me. When you really have nothing to do all day at work, you start wondering just exactly what defines you as a person. Apparently, having plans means something to my little, little brain.

But seriously, folks. We got emails from higher-ups this week that basically said: don't expect any work til the new year.

I think I would make a very bad lady of leisure, since I can't seem to think of anything with which to occupy my time. I've always been sort of a dilettante, a dabbler in all things, an expert in none. I've heard of a lot of things, but don't know much about any of 'em. And left to my own devices, I seem to be completely at sea. What the hell should I be doing? Everyone says, "Enjoy yourself!" But how exactly do I do that? What do I enjoy?

I suppose if I didn't have to be at work during the daylight hours, I'd go hiking. I do like it tremendously. But there's got to be more to me than hiking, right? I wish I knew more of what I liked. I wish I knew me better. What a curious and sad thing to write!