Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yes!

After backing losers the only other times I was eligible to vote in a presidential election, it feels good to back a winner. And what a winner! Not just any Democrat, but someone who -- in a way still kind of mystifying to me -- has managed to inspire the kind of hope, enthusiasm and loyalty I don't remember ever witnessing before.

Democrats Abroad HK hosted an event tonight at a local bar; people were pretty joyful.

True to my pessimistic nature, this is what I was thinking: Obama is bound to disappoint -- there is no way any human could live up to the hopes, symbolism and expectations that have been laid upon him. Bill Clinton at his best exhibited the charisma of a movie star (and what is Washington but Hollywood for ugly people?), but he made some significant missteps early on (and later on too, but that's another matter). So I don't have high expectations of President Obama. I just hope he doesn't fail too badly.

But by god, it feels good to write "President Obama"!