Sunday, July 13, 2008

Dubya loves me

I went away this weekend to Junebug's beautiful new digs in Providence. After living more than a decade in the same two-bedroom apartment, she up and moved a few months ago to the airy, spacious second floor and attic of a house a few blocks away. Her attic bedroom, with its own bathroom, is bigger than my studio here in midtown.

It was heavenly being with Junebug and away from town for a day. I slept peacefully in the suburban quiet, got the priceless hours of advice and guidance of an REI gearhead (not to mention her tent, polarized sunglasses and other sundries on loan) for my upcoming trip to the Sierras, and felt the incomparable comfort of being with an old friend.

Junebug is not a Dubya fan, to put it mildly, and neither am I, to put it mildly. But Dubya loves me, because I did what he wanted. I was planning to put my entire economic stimulus payment, which I received last week, toward my loans, but then I went to REI. One thing lead to another, and I decided after hours and hours that I just didn't want to deal and that I would just buy everything, god dammit, and the total came to $2 over the amount of my check. Kismet! So there you go, Dubya. This is me, being a patriot.
(287/730)