Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Out of the woods (and into them again)

Three months and a day ago, I started my second rotation at the Firm.

I kinda hate it.

The work is unpredictable, the client is king, and the partners in the group don't seem to be able to manage the clients or the associates very well. During the last two weeks I routinely worked 15-hour days, and last week I worked the hardest I have since I started working as a lawyer, but without the sense of gratification and satisfaction I got from working in my first rotation similar hours.

Ugh.

It's let up a bit so far this week, but with the international deal I'm on, I'm looking at some more 9 pm phone calls (leading to 2 am nights) this week. If this is how it is when the market's down, I gotta get out before the economy picks up again.

Speaking of getting out, though, I'm headed out of office, town, state and region in a week to go camping in the Sierra Nevada with Double M on a Sierra Club trip. Over 7 days we'll hike up to 9,000 feet and over 35 miles of California wilderness. It'll be the longest backpacking trip I've ever taken, and I'm afwaid, very afwaid. Of what, you ask? Mostly of possible altitude sickness, since I've felt ill at that altitude before, but also of being unable to carry the 35+ pounds on my back without major discomfort, plus not being able to shower for a week. Ew.

Well, it'll certainly be a test of my inner nature girl.
(282/730)