Thursday, August 25, 2005

Didn't see KB today, as he has a bad cold. So Saturday night I'm going to see him, out near our old school. To watch some rugby tournament on the telly. Ech. But it might be good to go over the old stomping grounds again.

I went out to Insadong today with my lovely Canadian friend, who took me round to a great old style teahouse. I bought two self massagers: two wooden hook thingees that you use to massage your own back. I got one for my dad/grandmothers last year and have wanted one for myself for a while.

I suppose I've got to think seriously about what I want to do next summer, as on-campus interviewing starts pretty much the moment I get back to school. Ugh. I went over the 7-page memo from the school yesterday about the steps to take, including posting my resume online, choosing the 20-25 firms I want to interview at, signing up for the interview lottery, blabbity blah blah blech. I'm extraodinarily lucky in that Crimson attracts so many employers -- all these firms want to say, yo, we have Crimson first year associates doing due diligence on your deal, so we're worth the gazillion dollars per hour! But really -- ech.

If I wanted life to be simple, I'd just go for a firm in New York, because, well, it's a thing, that New York summer associate experience. I asked Big G if he thought I'd be restricted to New York firms if I did that, and he said no, as long as I got an offer from the firm, I'd have some leverage with firms in other cities. So that might be fun. And simple.

If I wanted life to be more complicated, I'd take into account that I love being in foreign countries, and try to get some kind of human rights job, like that place I turned down for this summer. But that would probably entail doing the human rights student organization I signed up to co-direct, plus the human rights classes I signed up for. And frankly, none of it really spurs my interest. It all seems like a lot of useless paper pushing. And the busiest part of the organization is in the beginning of the semester, which -- ech.

The sweet and low of it is that I don't want to lead this group. But I said I would. What to do?

Should I try to split my summer between an HR group overseas and a NY law firm? Gor! I don't deal well with multiple choice questions.

Tomorrow, I am finally getting a haircut and a perm. Hurrah! It's what I came here to do. Plus eat good food. And hang out with the peeps.