Thursday, December 18, 2003

Tired but Ready (I hope)

Was late an hour to pick up Wendy at the airport last night, but like the resourceful good trooper she is, she blinked nary an eye, somehow persuading the information desk employee to look up my blog so that she could find out my cell phone number. Which was a good thing, since I hadn't taken into account the rush hour traffic that turned the normal one-hour trip to the airport into two and a half hours.

Today we spent far too much time at the travel agency trying to figure out hotels for Bangkok, then finally headed over to Insadong, where we looked at Korean craftwork and art. After a puzzling lack of street stands offering it, I finally found a vendor selling silk worm larvae, and I'm sorry to report that Wendy quailed at the prospect of eating such a foul-smelling and looking dish. To be fair, she was pooped out, which makes grotesque foods even harder to face. Well, we still have Jan. 12 to try it out.

Because Wendy took two weeks to figure out exactly what to bring on our three-week journey, it took me 20 minutes. I just packed similar clothes that she did. I didn't have to pack any mosquito repellants, electrolyte replacements, iodine tablets, soap, shampoo, etc., since she did. It's good to travel with Wendy.

Tomorrow we set off around 7 am for the airport for three weeks of warm weather, good food, malaria-ridden mosquitoes, beautiful temples, colonial architecture, dazzling beaches, polluted rivers, and wacky adventures. I will try to log on once in a while to update, but I can't promise anything. Have a safe and restful holiday season, all. I'll be thinking of you.