Thursday, August 07, 2003

Secrets

Usually people feel better about telling their woes to a shrink because the shrink is unconnected to their world, a supposedly unbiased source of advice and validation. Recently I've become the recipient of a lot of people's secrets, and it occured to me that they don't mind telling me the things they do because I'm an outsider. Just like a shrink.

It's all work people that I'm talking about. All Koreans. And I'm sure I'm not the only one at the office each person has told their individual secret to. But I get the sense that I've talked rather intimately with people that might not confide in each other.

The secrets range from little etiquette things to bigger future-related plans. H, with whom I meet twice a week to practice my Korean and her English, has asked me not to tell others that I've been to her house for these lessons, since she hasn't invited anyone else to her house yet. M has a boyfriend that her parents set her up with, but she doesn't want anyone in the office to know, as they'd doubtlessly start firing questions at her. W is planning on applying to divinity school in the States but doesn't want anyone to know, while HJ's thinking about law school and S has her sights set on business school in Singapore. Just the other day I had a rather weird lunch with an assistant team director, who confided that she wasn't really big into publications (her team's work), but that she really liked industrial design.

I'd like to think that I'm the sort of person who invites confidences by way of possessing a gentle, open disposition (so they THINK! MWAH HA HA!), but I suspect strongly that it's the Outsider element doing the trick.
-----------------------------
Yesterday it rained violently and periodically, and today was a gorgeous, cloudy, cool day (even with humidity, not past 80 degrees Fahrenheit, I'd say). First time the mirrors in the taekwondo studio weren't completely steamed up. Still sweat up a storm, though.

Went to Tex's apartment for a next-to-last fitting for the bridesmaid outfit for One-Armed Maggie's wedding. The skirt looks beautiful but the top needed work. Amazing how complicated a little ole top can be.

Anyway, borrowed Tex's copy of Pride and Prejudice and am loving it all over again for, what, the 10th time? It is just a beautifully written book.

Listening to: Not much these days. Bought a copy of Yoon Do-hyun's greatest hits. This is the guy who came up with the Korean theme song for the World Cup. He's a rather famous rocker in Korea. Not sure I'm liking the sound. I like the name of one of his songs, though: "Cigarette Store Girl."

While I was in the mall the other week, I listened to the new Michelle Branch CD (all things American come out here too) and liked it -- I've had a weakness for her since "Everywhere." Was tempted to buy it, but my usual "Must. Not. Spend. Money. On. Fluff." attitude kicked into gear. Returned a few days later and almost bought it again, but while listening to it again, suddenly felt Memory of Relationship Moment creep up and pounce on me. On our last trip to the Shenandoahs that J and I took last year, pretty close to when J left for L.A., "Everywhere" was playing in the car as we headed home. Nearly cried, right there at the listening station, and hastily took off the 'phones and took off, thinking ruefully, "Man, I can't handle Michelle Branch. Am I weak or what?"