Wednesday, February 12, 2003

My bloody archives keep disappearing on me, and I keep reposting 'em, but I think maybe they're shy.

Or maybe blogger hates me.
-----------------
Yesterday Fed Ex went to the apartment and, finding no one there, called me on my hand phone. Due to my limited language skills, we quickly established that I was a foreigner, and then proceeded to have the neighbor take the box for me.

On my way home, I picked up a packet of strawberries to give the neighbor as a thank you present, and we made the exchange.

Later that evening:

[Knocking]

Helen: Who is it?

Voice: The neighbor!

[Helen opens door. Neighbor and daughter (around 7?) stand outside. Neighbor holds plate of hulled strawberries.]

Neighbor (shyly): Excuse me, but I wondered... if you might be able to help my daughter with English sometimes?

Helen (wincing inwardly because she doesn't like kids and would gnaw off her left hand in order to escape if locked in with them for more than an hour): Oh!

Neighbor (rushed): I mean, if you're not busy. You must be busy.

Helen: Well, I am rather busy. In the morning I have school and in the afternoon I have a parttime job.

Neighbor: And at night...?

Helen: ... I do homework.

Neighbor: Ah.

[Neighbor's very young son zooms into apartment, barefoot, in pajamas, holding a toy bow and arrow, dancing around the living room]

Neighbor: (to boy, with no discernable effect) Come out from there! (to Helen) Your dad comes home pretty late, doesn't he?

Helen: Yes, he does.

Neighbor: Yes, it seems that way.

[Awkward second of silence]

Helen (dying inside and afraid of getting shot by a plastic arrow): Uh, are you busy on the weekends?

Neighbor: No, not much.

Helen (mentally beating herself up already): If I have time on the weekends, I'll just knock on your door, okay?

Neighbor: Okay. Here, take these! [offers plate of strawberries]

Helen: Uh, did you have some?

Neighbor: Oh yes!

Helen: Okay, thanks. [take plate of neatly hulled and piled up strawberries]

Neighbor: Come on, son!

Son: It's because I'm barefoot, isn't it? Hee hee hee hee hee!!!!!

Helen (gritting teeth and trilling excessively): Well, on the weekends, if I have time, I'll knock on your door!

Neighbor: Thank you! Good night!

Helen: Thank you! Good night!

I told my dad about this exchange when he got home, and he just about laughed his head off. He said, "Okay, find out what Korean kids are like! But have them pay you!" Uh, NO. "Okay, I'll teach them... for market price!"