Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Conscience Smotes!

I haven't done anything particularly wicked, I'm just starting to feel bad about insisting on working only 3 days a week. Partly it's because the HR guy (being pressured by his superiors), keeps trying to push the boundaries -- first it was taking work home with me, and today, he called and asked if I'd be willing to come in every Saturday morning.

"Um, well, that's not really working three times a week then, right?" I asked.

"Yes, but remember what I said yesterday about paying you the full salary?" he asked. "We just hoped you could come in on Saturdays also."

"Um, well, I hadn't really thought of doing that," I said, trying to politely say no.

"Ah. Well, I thought you'd say that. Let's talk tomorrow when you come in, okay?"

"Sure. See you tomorrow."

"See you tomorrow."

In writing it down here, I realize it sounds like the famous Korean classic, "Guilt Trip." (I actually sing that song rather well myself, but I'm not immune to its charms when someone else is crooning.) I said it would be fine to cut my salary to the hours that I actually work, so if they don't want to do the paperwork and instead have settled on paying the entire amount, they should accept the terms as I've given them, because I'm not the one insisting on the entire part-time salary for half the time.

On the other hand (and you knew there was one), Korean companies aren't exactly known for their flexibility, and I do feel like the Ugly American in this situation, demanding special consideration because I was lucky enough that my parents decided to immigrate there and have me grow up fluent in English. This is a job that even most expatriates would find exceptionally cushy, with its non-demanding work, reasonable hours, and occasional perquisites, like free concerts and shows. Not to mention quite heavenly to most Koreans.

I've met friends through the Foundation, I've learned about Korean through reading the articles they publish, and I've seen Korean work culture -- all valuable experiences courtesy of the KF. Most westerners teach English here; I've been spared that.

Don't worry, I'm not about to go in tomorrow and sell my soul to the Foundation for a ticket to Nanta. I just don't want to be the spoiled westerner. And I'm susceptible to the GT tune.