Friday, October 25, 2002

Work
Unbelievably, work is continuing to be slow today.
I say unbelievably, because it's been unbelievably busy since my first day here two weeks ago. For a quasi-governmental organization, there's a lot of work.
Well, I do only work 4 hours a day, so maybe there isn't all that much work to do. I dunno.
Okay, let me start from the beginning, because I can see that this is becoming a very muddle-y entry. I started working as a parttime editor at the Korea Foundation on Monday, Oct. 14. I applied for the job while I was still in DC; Mary came across it and let me know about it. (Gosh, did I ever thank Mary? Or tell I actually got the job? D'oh! (Incidentally, as Tomas told me and Uichol, the German version of the Simpsons has Homer saying "Nein!" for "D'oh!" Uichol and I both agreed it was a travesty.) Anyway, here's big shout-out to my homegirl Mary, for finding me my job here.)
So I applied from the U.S. and took an editing test over email on Wendy's computer. I arrived in Seoul on Saturday, Oct. 5, interviewed with the Foundation on Monday, Oct. 7, found out on Oct. 8 that all the right people didn't think I was a psycho, and started work on Monday, Oct. 14. What luck!
So I work here four hours a day, editing people's letters, articles for two magazines that KF publishes, brochures, Web material, all that stuff. It's all in English, but the translators/writers are at varying proficiencies, so it makes for an interesting time.
The KF promotes Korean business and culture, so there are perks. Last Saturday I went to a concert benefitting Hep B patients (carriers? victims? dunno) at the massive Seoul Arts Center. And last week I had a fun time searching the internet for the correct way to address a letter to an ambassador and his wife. Next week - another concert.
The KF magazines -- Koreana and Korea Focus -- focus on Korean culture and current events, respectively. The articles for Koreana that I've read so far have dealt with Korean ceramics, Techno Mart (the biggest Korean electronic store - it's a huge building), and Anmyeondo, an island whose sleepy (its name means place of good rest), rustic nature is being destroyed by tourism. Well, that's what I think, at least. Since Koreana is basically propaganda, the article insisted that the disappearance of all the native wild roses was justified by the improvement in infrastructure and the burgeoning tourist industry. In the course of my editing, I tried to insert a few critical points into that article, but was subsequently told that it was not my place to do so. No banner bearer of journalistic integrity is this! It rankles a bit, but yo, I'm just a parttime lowly editor, yo.
My predecessor was apparently an infamous character - "a big, stupid American guy" - who was sacked because he apparently didn't do much work. Except he didn't know he was sacked, because KF found him another job! At a high-profile nonprofit international organization, no less! (I asked my interviewer - "Um, if you don't like the work I do, will you find me a job too?" He didn't really respond to that.) He was also given a farewell dinner. Yeah.
Don't ask me to explain, I just work here.
Okay, it's 5:53 and I have no work, so I'm gonna split. Unfortunately, even though it's Saturday tomorrow, I have to come into work, because I'm contracted to work four hours every other Saturday morning. Until recently, everyone in Korea worked a six-day week. Recently, the financial and public sectors have moved to a five-day week. But the five-day week isn't standard (yet).

Just had a thought - since I'm going to be working six days a week (every other week), I think I'm gonna need some more clothes. Hm. That'll be interesting. Sizes will be right, but will I have to wear bows on my shoes? I think the Pops and I are going shopping this weekend, so I'll be sure to have fun stuff to write next week. The department stores here are not to be believed.